Saturday, June 22, 2013

Indulging in the Middle Way

The Middle Way
In Buddhism, it is important to not overindulge in anything, whether it be entertainment, money, sex, or even food. It is important to find a balance of things, a middle ground. For if you under-indulge, you may be unhappy or even unhealthy. But to overindulge, sets you up for big issues as well. This may lead to addiction or negative emotions - and as we know negative emotions not only affect the mind, but the body as well.

Buddhist tradition teaches that food should be thought of only as something to nourish the body. And with how food is produced nowadays, it may lead to worse problems by overindulging, including detrimental effects on the environment. We must preserve the earth, not only for ourselves, but for the future generations. Life is an important thing. The biggest mantra of Buddhism is: "Do no harm." This is why many Buddhists do not eat meat. Others go as far to not eat vegetables such as garlic and onion because to consume the plant, the whole living plant must be destroyed.

As I have discussed before, there is no mortal sin in the path of the Buddha. We do the best we can in any given circumstances not to harm another living being. Some people must eat meat for health reasons. Some must consume garlic for its optimal health advantages. The important thing is the balance of karma. Eating the flesh of a cow may be bad karma, but maybe you can do something of good karma to balance it out.

I have mentioned a couple weeks ago that I have an issue with not only my body image because I am overweight, but also I am consumed with the problem of overindulging, overeating. I have been focusing on this issue for the past few weeks, concentrating hard on how to straighten out this weakness. I have been cautious on what I put into my body, as not to harm it. I have stuck mainly to fresh fruits and vegetables, fruit juices, and nuts. I have been moderately successful at limiting my overindulging as well. I have screwed up a few times, however. I will admit.

But I do not let myself fall off the bandwagon, just because I have had a bad meal or a bad day! I encourage myself. I tell myself that I did good for breakfast and I can pick up with healthy choices for my evening meal. Or I tell myself that we all do have bad days, but it is not worth tearing myself down. I just need to bring my focus back to the big picture, the overall goal: a healthier, happier me who is a productive member of the global community.

Do not be hard on yourself, in whatever addictions or problems that you may have. Go easy on yourself, otherwise who else will? Be stern, but gentle. You will find your way.


Recipes
On a usual day, I begin with a cup of hot lemon water or green tea, sometimes both. For breakfast, I usually have a banana and a glass of orange juice. In between meals, I may enjoy a handful of almonds to hold me over. Lunch usually consists of a big salad(spinach or lettuce with carrots, celery, almonds or sunflower seeds, and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing) and fruit juice. Supper is when I am usually not quite as busy, so I have the time to prepare a nicer, slightly larger meal. That is where I can get creative. I really do enjoy cooking. Here are a few recipes for some vegan, or almost vegan, meals that I have enjoyed to prepare in the recent weeks. My time is still limited, so these recipes are extremely simple and quick! Enjoy and modify in any which way suits you!


Garden Burgers

This recipe is so simple. You take 6 oz tofu, drain it, and mash it up in a bowl. Mince whatever veggies you may want inside of your burger. I use mushrooms, celery, and carrot. Add the veggies and whatever spices you want to the tofu and mix it up well. (If you're not sure what to add for spices try just a pinch of salt, a couple dashes of black pepper, and a bit of garlic powder.) Once you've got everything mixed and mashed together, grab a handful, form a patty, and roll it in flour. (They will be a little crumbly.) This recipe should make two decent sized patties. Fry in vegetable oil for about 3-5 minutes each side and voila! You have a yummy vegan burger! Top however you want! I enjoy lettuce, tomato, ketchup and mayonnaise/Vegenaise on mine!


                                                                                                 "Chicken" Salad

My recipes are quick and easy, because I have a very busy schedule. I work two jobs and go to school. This next one is super quick. It actually took me the near six and half years that I've been a vegetarian to think of this quick modified meat recipe. Very simple. I nuke a Morningstar Farms Chick Patty in the microwave (about 45 seconds each side). While my "chicken" is heating up, I dice a stock of celery and mix it in with about 1 1/2 tablespoon of Vegenaise. When the chicken is ready, chop it up, and add it to the mix! I top my vegetarian chicken salad on a toasted piece of Ezekiel bread.


* NOTE: Morningstar Farms Chick Patties and Ezekiel breads are not VEGAN, but you may substitute with a vegan-friendly chicken substitute and grain, if you wish.








Vegan Pasta w/ White Sauce
 
While boiling a serving of rice or vegetable noodles, shred a carrot stick and dice up some spinach and mushrooms. When pasta is done boiling, drain and mix with vegetables, sunflower seeds, pepper, and crushed basil. Put in a single serving casserole dish. Take 1/4 cup of heated almond milk and whisk in 1 tsp. flour. Pour this mixture over pasta. Bake in oven at 450 degrees for approximately 10 minutes. Top with fresh parsley for garnish!








 Final Thought
 Allow yourself to have fun in kicking bad habits. You don't have to be so serious all the time. Also, when it comes to food: stay in the moment, enjoy each bite, savor the flavors. Always remember where your food comes from, the journey it has taken, and the lives it has encountered.



"When we can no longer change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."
Victor Frankl


Much love and peace,
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your insight!